When should I get an accountant to help file my taxes?


Everyone has a different situation and while some would benefit from preparing their own return, there are a number of situations that would prove hiring a professional worth while. For instance, the value of your time should be considered. IRS estimates the average individual with a business spends 21 hours preparing their own 1040 and schedule C. Those without a business average about 8 hours. When referring to businesses that have their own filing requirements (i.e. Corporations, Partnerships, and S-corps) the time invested in properly reporting its activities shoot up dramatically. While its true that even if you hire a professional, the burden of collecting your documentation is still on you, at least you can save some time in the reporting, preparation and filing aspect.

Additionally, the general complexity of your situation should also be considered when determining if hiring help is worth the cost. If you are simply a W-2 earner with minimal investments, most do-it-yourself tax softwares work fine. On the other hand, if you operate a business, own a few investment properties or sold investments during the year, it may be worth considering some professional assistance. While comprehensive tax software can usually handle these more complex tax situations, it cannot talk with you about your plans that could affect your taxes. A tax adviser can offer insight into tax law changes that might affect you and whether you should make certain moves now or wait.

Also important to mention, the headache of dealing with the IRS is one most people do well to avoid. By signing your tax return, you are responsible for all the information on the forms. If you do your taxes yourself, that means you're the one the IRS will come to with any questions, which could occur years after you've filed. The higher your income, the greater your chances of being audited. Having a preparer with a CPA or EA license will allow them to represent you in front of the IRS and save you the time and headache.

Subscribe to Taxfyle Resources & Tax Tips

Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox

Thank you for subscribing!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
IRS Schedule 8812: What is IRS Form 8812, Do I have a qualifying child? How does it affect my form 1040?
Personal Taxes
IRS Schedule 8812: Include it in Your form 1040 to claim the additional child tax credit for each qualifying child. We can help!
9 Minute Read
How Form W-4 Applies To Your Taxes
Personal Taxes
Learn how to fill out your W-4 accurately and avoid overpaying or underpaying taxes with this comprehensive guide.
7 Minute Read
The New Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Standard Mileage Rate for 2023: More Deductions
Personal Taxes
Maximize 2023 (increased from 2022) tax savings with IRS optional standard mileage rates, and deductible expenses at 65.5 cents per mile.

File simpler.

File smarter.

File with Taxfyle.